Tuesday 11 June 2013

Rapberry frangipane

The sun appeared! Mind you the weather, here in Ediburgh at least, seems to be on the turn. So I am highly glad I had a picnic las weekend, as who know when he may appear again!

As well as beautiful salads, olives, fruit, homemade baguettes (see here) I of course wanted something sweet I decided I wanted that rich, melt in the mouth frangpiane with the tartness of raspberries. Berries seem to scream sunshine.


In this recipe I use shop bought shortcrust pastry. I enjoy making pastry but on this particular morning I was also making bread and assembling the rest of the picnic. Time was not on my side.

I bought pre rolled pastry. I find this pastry is always quite thickly rolled out, which is fine for pies but not my tart, I did not want lots of pastry just a wafer thin case to hold together the raspberries and frangipane. In the end I lined my tin with ~125g of thin rolled short crust.

I have also just realised that the letter for this months alpha bakes (this month hosted by Ros over at the more than occasional baker) is R. So I am going to enter my Raspberry frangipane as an unplanned entry!


Raspberry frangipane tart


Pack of pre rollled short crust pastry (I used ~125g)
50g raspberry jam
140g butter
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
140g ground almonds
50g plain flour
100g raspberries



Preheat the oven to 200C/180C FAN. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the pastry further, until very thin and line a 23cm tart tin. I used my long one from lakeland (36cm in length) which worked very well. Trim the excess pastry, prick the base with a fork, and chill for 30 minutes. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans, or rice. Bake for 10 minutes then remove the baking beans and paper. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden and biscuity.


To make the filling cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy then beat in the eggs. Finally fold in the ground almonds and flour.


Spread the base of the pastry case with the raspberry jam. Spoon the frangipane filling into the pastry case and level the top. Place the raspberries on top, in whatever pattern you desire.
Bake the tart for 30-35 minutes until cooked and golden. 


Leave to cool in the tin for ~20 minutes and when the tin is cool enough to handle remove the tart and allow to cool.

I cut these into picnic sized pieces. They are dangerously delicious and extremely moreish. They last well i a tin for at least 3 days. Sadly we ate them all so I am not sure if they last longer!

1 comment:

  1. These look great and are perfect for a picnic. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete