Wednesday 20 February 2013

Elderflower and poppyseed cake

Once again it was my turn to take cake/biscuits in to work for the lab meeting. There is nothing to say it has to be homemade, any cake or biscuit is a welcome addition to a morning meeting, however I like to make something. I either bake old favourites I have not had in a while or else my workmates get to play guinea pig as I try out new bakes.

I did not have much time at all so my bake had to be something very speedy to whip up. This loaf cake from Peyton and Byrne was just the thing. It also contains elderflower which begins with 'E' and so I can enter it in this months alpha bakes!

Elderflower and Poppyseed cake (From Peyton and Byrne, British baking)

makes one loaf (900g loaf tin)

For the cake

165g butter
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
30g poppy seeds
1 tbsp elderflower cordial
1 tsp orange blossom water
200g self raising flour
140ml milk

For the glaze

125g icing sugar
3 tbsps elderflower cordial
poppyseeds for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 170C/150C FAN. Grease and line the base and short sides of a 900g loaf tin. This will help the loaf to be removed from the tin with ease.

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each egg. Add the poppy seeds, orange blossom water and elderflower cordial and combine. 

Fold in half the flour, followed by half the milk. Fold in the remaining flour and then milk before spooning into the prepared loaf tin and levelling with the back of a spoon.

Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes until turning out onto a wire rack and allowing to cool completely.

To make the icing whisk the icing sugar and cordial together with a fork. Spoon over the cooled cake, pushing the icing to the edges and allowing it to trickle down the sides. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if you wish.

This cake disappeared exceedingly quickly and I heard good feedback. If I am totally honest though the elderflower was not quite prominent enough for me. I think I would like to try adding in another tablespoon of elderflower cordial and taking out a tablespoon of milk.

1 comment:

  1. I made an elderflower cake too and couldn't really taste the elderflower. This looks really good - I'll have to try it myself one day. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete